This guide will show you how to play N64 games like Super Mario 64 on your SNES Classic Mini. Please note the SNES Classic does not run most N64 games well but some games (like Mario 64) are very playable. Please see our list of compatible games on the bottom of this page.
This tutorial is the same and works for both the SNES Classic Mini and NES Classic Mini.
How-to Play N64 Games on Your SNES Classic Mini
If you have already installed hakchi2 CE to your console, connect your console to the computer, turn it on, and open hakchi. Wait until your console is Online then skip to step #5.
1. Download hakchi2 CE (hakchi2-CE-#.#.#-release.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Run hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair and hit Yes.
4. If this is your first time, you will be prompted to install drivers. You will only need to do this once. Now follow the steps on the screen - connect your console to your computer, hold the reset button and turn on the power switch, and then release the reset button after a few seconds.
5. Go to Modules > KMFD's Mod Hub.
6. Go to the KMFD RetroArch tab, select the latest version of RetroArch, and hit Download and Install Module.
7. Go to the KMFD Cores tab, select Genesis Plus GX, and hit Download and Install Module.
8. Exit out of KMFD's Mod Hub. Now hit Add more games and add the ROMs files (you can add multiple at once and you do not need to unzip the ROM file).
9. [Optional] Highlight the games, right-click, and select Download box art for selected games OR you can manually select each game and add your own box art by hitting Browse in the bottom right corner. You can edit the game details under Game options.
You can also change the structure of the game selection screen by going to Structure and selecting your option. I like all of my original and added games on the same page so I have disabled page/folders.
10. Hit Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
After the process is complete, the games will be available on your SNES Classic Mini.
Mapping N64 Controller for SNES Classic Mini
11. Launch the game and press Start + Select to open the Retroarch menu.
12. Go down to Controls to map your controls.
We recommend using a Wii Classic Controller Pro to play N64 games on the SNES Classic.
Playable N64 Games on SNES Classic
- F-Zero X
- Snowboard Kids
- Snowboard Kids 2
- Starfox 64
- Super Mario 64
- Wipeout 64
Note: Some of the games listed may have minor issues but should be fully playable. This list will be updated regularly.
Please leave us a comment with games that ran well for you so we can expand our list!