Want to play Neo Geo games on your SNES Classic Mini? Well, now you can! Follow our step-by-step tutorial to learn how to add and play Neo Geo games on your mini console.
This tutorial is the same and works for both the SNES Classic Mini and NES Classic Mini.
How-to Play Neo Geo Games on Your SNES Classic Mini
If you have already installed hakchi2 CE to your console, connect your console to the computer, turn it on, and open hakchi. Wait until your console is Online then skip to step #5.
1. Download hakchi2 CE (hakchi2-CE-#.#.#-release.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Run hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair and hit Yes.
4. If this is your first time, you will be prompted to install drivers. You will only need to do this once. Now follow the steps on the screen - connect your console to your computer, hold the reset button and turn on the power switch, and then release the reset button after a few seconds. While that is installing, we can start formatting the USB drive.
5. Go to Modules > KMFD's Mod Hub.
6. Go to the KMFD RetroArch tab, select the latest version of RetroArch, and hit Download and Install Module.
7. Go to the KMFD Cores tab, select GB Alpha 2012 Neo-Geo, and hit Download and Install Module.
8. Exit out of KMDF's Mod Hub, hit Add more games, and add your Neo Geo ROM (it should be a .zip file).
9. Press Import as archive.
10. Highlight the file name and select Unassigned under System then select FB Alpha 2012 Neo Geo under Core. Hit Apply then Close.
11. [Optional] Highlight the game, edit the game details, and add a box art.
You can also change the structure of the game selection screen by going to Structure and selecting your option. I like all of my original and added games on the same page so I have disabled page/folders.
12. Press Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini and follow the instructions on the screen.
Once the process is complete, you can test out the game.
Mapping Neo Geo Controller for SNES Classic Mini
13. Launch the game and press Start + Select to open the Retroarch menu.
14. Go down to Controls to map your controls.
We recommend using a Wii Classic Controller Pro to play Neo Geo games on the SNES Classic.
Neo Geo games can be a little tricky to get running. If your Neo Geo game doesn't work on the SNES Classic, you may need to try a different Neo Geo core.
1. First open hakchi2 and connect your SNES Classic to your computer and turn it on. Make sure the console is Online before you proceed to the next step.
2. Go to Modules > KMFD's Mod Hub > KMFD Cores and download a different Neo Geo or FBA core.
3. Exit out of KMFD's Mod Hub and highlight the Neo Geo game. Right-click it and go to Select emulation core...
4. Highlight the game and change the Core to the new Neo Geo core. Hit Apply and Close.
5. Hit Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
Now test out the game again and see if it runs correctly on your SNES Classic Mini. If it is still not working, you may try a different core. In some instances, the ROM file may be causing the issue. You can try a different ROM file. Please note, that not all Neo Geo games work on the SNES Classic Mini.
If you have any questions please let us know in the comments field.