Running MAME (arcade) games on the SNES Classic Mini can be a little tricky. This tutorial will show you how to add and play MAME games on your SNES Classic Mini. Please note that not every game will run correctly or at all.
This tutorial is the same and works for both the SNES Classic Mini and NES Classic Mini.
How-to Play MAME Games on Your SNES Classic Mini
(If you have already installed hakchi2 to your console, skip to step #5.)
1. Download hakchi2 CE (hakchi2_CE_#.#.#.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Run hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair and hit Yes.
4. Now follow the steps on the screen - connect your console to your computer, hold down the reset button and turn it on, and then release the reset button after a few seconds. You will also need to Install driver if this is your first time.
5. Go to Modules > Hakchi Mod store.
6. Go to the Retroarch tab, select RetroArch Neo #.#.#, and hit Download and Install Module.
7. Follow the instructions on the screen and prepare your console if prompted.
8. Go to the Retroarch Cores tab, select MAME 2003 Retroarch Core, and hit Download and Install Module. Afterwards, exit Hakchi Mod store.
9. Now hit Add more games and add your MAME ROM (it should be a .zip file). Press Import as archive.
10. Highlight the file name and select Unassigned under System then select MAME 2003 under Core. Hit Apply then Close.
11. [Optional] Highlight the game and rename it and add a box art.
12. Press Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini and follow the instructions on the screen.
13. After the process is complete, the games will be available on your SNES Classic Mini.
Additional notes: MAME games can be tricky to get working. MAME 2003 seems to work the best out of all the available MAME modules but you can try running the game using another module like MAME 2000 to see if it will run the game.
If you have any questions please let us know in the comments field.