The SNES Classic Mini can run PSP games. Follow our step-by-step tutorial to begin and start playing games like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories, God of War: Ghost of Sparta, Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core, and many more on your SNES Classic.
Before you begin, since PSP ROM files are huge (usually larger than the capacity of the SNES Classic), you will need to install the USB-Host mod which allows you to add extra storage to your console with a USB drive. Read our tutorial here.
How-to Play PSP Games on Your SNES Classic
(If you have already installed hakchi2 to your console, skip to step #5.)
1. Download hakchi2 CE (hakchi2_CE_#.#.#.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Run hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair and hit Yes.
4. Now follow the steps on the screen - connect your console to your computer, hold down the reset button and turn it on, and then release the reset button after a few seconds. You will also need to Install driver if this is your first time.
5. Download RetroArch (Hakchi_Retroarch_Neo_v#_#_#c.hmod) and put the file into the user_mods folder inside the hakchi2 folder.
6. Download the PPSSPP_Neo hmod to your computer. Put the PPSSPP_Neo_v#_#_## hmod file into the user_mods folder inside the hakchi2 folder.
7. Go to Modules > Install extra modules.
8. Select RetroArch and PPSSPP_Neo and hit OK.
9. Follow the instructions on the screen and prepare your console.
10. Download PSP ROM. It should be an ISO file.
11. Drag and drop the .ISO file into hakchi2.
12. Highlight the file name and select Sony - PlayStation Portable under System then select PPSSPP under Core. Hit Apply then Close.
13. *OPTIONAL* Edit the game name, box art, etc.
14. Insert your USB drive to your computer and hit Export games.
15. Select your USB drive, select your region, and hit OK.
You are done. Connect your USB drive to your SNES Classic and you will see the game on it.
Mapping PSP Controller for SNES Classic Mini
16. Launch the game and press Start + Select to open the Retroarch menu and go to Quick Menu > Controls.
We recommend using a Wii Classic Controller Pro to play PSP games on the SNES Classic.