This tutorial will show you how to run Playstation (PS1, PSX, PSOne) games on your SNES Classic Mini. Many PS1 games run well on the SNES Classic.
Before you begin, since PS1 ROM files are huge (usually larger than the capacity of the SNES Classic), you will need to install the USB-Host mod which allows you to add extra storage to your console with a USB drive. Read our tutorial here.
How-to Play Playstation Games on Your SNES Classic
(If you have already installed hakchi2 to your console, skip to step #5.)
1. Download hakchi2 CE (hakchi2_CE_#.#.#.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Run hakchi.exe.
3. Go to Kernel > Install / Repair and hit Yes.
4. Now follow the steps on the screen - connect your console to your computer, hold down the reset button and turn it on, and then release the reset button after a few seconds. You will also need to Install driver if this is your first time.
5. Go to Modules > Hakchi Mod store.
6. Go to the Retroarch tab, select RetroArch Neo #.#.#, and hit Download and Install Module.
7. Follow the instructions on the screen and prepare your console if prompted.
8. Go to the Retroarch Cores tab, select PCSX ReARMed Neon Retroarch Core, and hit Download and Install Module. Now exit Hakchi Mod store.
9. Download your PS1 ROM and extract it. It should be a .PBP file. If the file is another format, you will need to convert it to a .PBP file using PSX2PSP.
10. Drag and drop the .PBP file into hakchi2.
11. Highlight the file name and select Sony - Playstation under System then select PCSX ReARMed [NEON] under Core. Hit Apply then Close.
12. *OPTIONAL* Edit the game name, box art, etc.
13. Insert your USB drive to your computer and hit Export games.
14. Select your USB drive, select your region, and hit OK.
You are done. Connect your USB drive to your SNES Classic and turn it on.
Mapping PS1 Controller for SNES Classic Mini
16. Launch the game and press Start + Select to open the Retroarch menu and go to Quick Menu > Controls.
We recommend using a Wii Classic Controller Pro to play PS1 games on the SNES Classic.
Switching Game Disc
Many PS1 games are multi-discs and requires you to change CDs at certain points. This tutorial will show you how to switch disc in RetroArch on your SNES Classic.
1. When the game prompts you to switch discs, press start+select to open the Retroarch menu and go down to Disk Control.
2. Then press on Disk Cycle Tray Status - you should see an "Ejected virtual disk tray" message on the bottom-left corner.
3. Go to Disk Index and change the CD number using the left or right button on your controller.
4. Now press on Disk Cycle Tray Status again - you should see a "Closed virtual disk tray" message on the bottom-left corner.
5. Go back and hit Resume. The new disc will now load.
Please leave us a comment below with PS1 games that ran well for you so others can see.