Running MAME (arcade) games on the SNES Classic Mini can be a little tricky. This tutorial will show you how to add and play MAME games on your SNES Classic Mini. Please note that not every game will run correctly or at all.
How-to Play MAME Games on Your SNES Classic Mini
(If you have already installed hakchi2 to your console, skip to step #7.)
1. Download hakchi2 CE (hakchi2_CE_#.#.#.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Open hakchi2.exe and select your console.
3. Go to Kernel > Dump Kernel.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen and prepare your console (install driver if this is your first time).
5. After the dump is complete, you should see a new folder titled “dump” in the hakchi folder. Inside this folder is a backup of your SNES Classic data in case anything goes wrong. We recommend you back up this folder and keep it safe.
6. Go to Kernel > Flash custom kernel and hit Yes.
7. Download RetroArch (Hakchi_Retroarch_Neo_v#_#_#c.hmod) and put the file into the user_mods folder inside the hakchi2 folder.
8. Download the RetroArch Essential Cores (Hakchi_RetroArch_Essential_Cores_v#_#_#.zip) and extract it to your computer. Move the CORE_meme2003 hmod file into the user_mods folder inside the hakchi2 folder.
9. Go to Modules > Install extra modules.
10. Select RetroArch and MAME2003 and hit OK.
11. Follow the instructions on the screen and prepare your console.
12. Now hit Add more games and add your MAME ROM (it should be a .zip file). Press Import as archive.
13. [Optional] Highlight the game and rename it and add a box art.
14. Now you will need to edit the Command line. The command line should look something like this:
We will be replacing "zip" with the "mame2003". This will tell the system to run the game using the mame2003 core.
15. Press Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini and follow the instructions on the screen.
16. After the process is complete, the games will be available on your SNES Classic Mini.
Additional notes: MAME games can be tricky to get working. Mame2003 seems to work the best out of all the available MAME modules but you can try running the game using another module like CORE_mame2000 (replace zip with mame2000 in step 6) to see if it will run the game.
If you have any questions please let us know in the comments field.