The SNES Classic Mini is capable of running Sega Genesis games. This tutorial will show you how to play Sega Genesis games like Sonic the Hedgehog on your mini console.
How-to Play Sega Genesis Games on Your SNES Classic Mini
(If you have already installed hakchi2 to your console, skip to step #7.)
1. Download hakchi2 CE (hakchi2_CE_#.#.#.zip) and extract it to your computer.
2. Open hakchi2.exe and select your console.
3. Go to Kernel > Dump Kernel.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen and prepare your console (install driver if this is your first time).
5. After the dump is complete, you should see a new folder titled “dump” in the hakchi folder. Inside this folder is a backup of your SNES Classic data in case anything goes wrong. We recommend you back up this folder and keep it safe.
6. Go to Kernel > Flash custom kernel and hit Yes.
7. Download RetroArch (Hakchi_Retroarch_Neo_v#_#_#c.hmod) and put the file into the user_mods folder inside the hakchi2 folder.
8. Download the RetroArch Essential Cores (Hakchi_RetroArch_Essential_Cores_v#_#_#.zip) and extract it to your computer. Move the CORE_genesis_plus_gx hmod file into the user_mods folder inside the hakchi2 folder.
9. Go to Modules > Install extra modules.
10. Select RetroArch and Genesis Plus GX and hit OK.
11. Follow the instructions on the screen and prepare your console.
11. Now hit Add more games and add the ROMs files (you can add multiple at once and you do not need to unzip the ROM file).
12. [Optional] Highlight the games, right-click, and select Download box art for selected games OR you can manually select each game and add your own box art by hitting Browse in the bottom right corner.
13. Hit Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini.
14. After the process is complete, the games will be available on your SNES Classic Mini.
To activate Retroarch menu, press Start + Select. To edit the controls, go to Quick Menu > Controls.